Fletcher Living Sustainable Homes
FLETCHER LIVING AND GREEN GORILLA
After reviewing waste contractors, the Fletcher Living team chose Green Gorilla for their Auckland-based residential construction sites. Green Gorilla have a 70% diversion rate - saving Auckland some 75,000 tonnes annually from going to landfill. We also share their passion for separating waste and recycling.
Did you know that plasterboard offcuts are 100% recyclable? The gypsum gets ground up and is used for fertiliser, compost or as a cement additive. So now Green Gorilla collect all Fletcher Living plasterboard from every house lot in special bags and take them away to be recycled. Fletcher Living untreated wood offcuts are also chipped up and find their way landscapers for gardens or to farmers for animal bedding.
Green Gorilla provide Auckland Recycling & Waste Solutions for Fletcher Living Sustainable Homes.
READ THE COMPLETE STORY ON THE FLETCHER LIVING BLOG
TACKLING WASTE IN CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION
Auckland urgently needs to change how it uses building materials and manages them across its life to:
- Produce less waste
- Reuse and recycle more
- Divert materials wherever possible
- Send to landfill only as a last resort
Time for change: what could the circular economy for construction and demolition look like?
- Prevention of waste
- Extending the lifetime of buildings
- Design for disassembly
- Modularity, repairability and durability
- Use of recycled materials
- Durable, repairable and recyclable materials
- Sharing of facilities and space
- Recycling of energy and water
- Smart renovation
- Avoiding unnecessary demolition
- Sorting, reusing and recycling demolition waste
BUILDING SUSTAINABLE PARTNERSHIPS
Over 70% Auckland Building Waste Diverted. Construction waste removal services in Auckland are not created all the same. Green Gorilla has the only solid waste management processing facility dedicated to separating and recycling construction waste.
What Does Processed Through a Facility Mean? Instead of being sent directly to Auckland landfills, your waste is bought back to our Onehunga site and placed into a large operation that sorts the waste. The recycling plant processing systems include a large-scale mechanical and manual sort line to recover timber, metals, card, plasterboard and other valuable commodities. It's an impressive sight!
Green Gorilla are the building waste removal experts in Auckland, East Auckland, West Auckland, North Auckland and South Auckland. We collect and dispose of building waste near you.
TAKE A 2 MINUTE BREAK AND GET INFORMED. WATCH THIS VIDEO
5 REASONS TO MINIMISE CONSTRUCTION WASTE
- COST. A residential construction project typically spends $500-$1000 for waste disposal services. However, the true cost of construction waste includes material cost, additional onsite storage and handling (allow 2.5 hours extra per tonne of waste), transport & landfill costs, lost salvage value and environmental effects.
- EFFICIENCY. Knowing what materials end up in your skip can tell you a lot about the accuracy of your material estimates and how efficiently your designers, workers and subcontractors are using materials. Every $100 saved is bottom line profit – that equals $1000 of sales at a 10% profit margin!
- LIABILITY. As a significant generator of waste, some potentially hazardous, you must manage your waste responsibly to minimise risk and potential liability.
- CONSERVATION. A significant amount of building waste is recyclable. By looking at your waste as potential resources, you can play an essential part in conserving natural resources and landfill space.
- MARKETING. Let the buying public know you are minimising waste to protect our environment. Provide them with a flyer explaining your company’s waste management plan and the total landfill space per year your company saves. Display a
a prominent sign on your site or skip bin displaying your company logo, a recycling symbol and stating ‘This Builder Recycles’.