Wood Chip Processing
GREEN GORILLA WOOD WASTE RECYCLING
TREATED TIMBER WASTE
The single largest source of timber we recycle comes from Auckland construction and demolition waste. However, we also collect or receive wooden pallets and extract wood from commercial general waste processing via our Waste Processing Facility.
Building timber is usually treated with chemical preservatives to stop burrowing insects and wood rot. It’s the wood used to build houses across Auckland and New Zealand. Construction companies large and small partner with us to divert their wood waste from going to Auckland landfills. By using our waste processing facilities we are able to achieve greater than 70% diversion rates for their sustainability.
How to Dispose of Treated Wood Waste
- Do not burn treated (or painted) timber in bonfires, barbeques, wood-burners, or open fireplaces.
- Never use offcuts or sawdust from treated timber for animal litter, in compost or in your garden.
- If you have small amounts of treated timber, please contact Auckland Council for a list of approved disposal sites.
- With prior arrangement, large volumes of treated timber for wood chip processing are accepted at Green Gorilla.
Treated timber is used to fuel industry
Green Gorilla's waste processing plant is an innovative electrically powered processing facility that produces consistent quality wood chip products. Treated wood waste is chipped for bio-fuel to replace coal at the Golden Bay Cement works near Whangarei. We are proud to be associated with Golden Bay Cement in this critical project to divert significant volumes of wood waste away from Auckland landfills.
Here's an outline of the process:
- All incoming material is weighed and checked for contamination before processing starts
- The method uses heavy-duty specialised machinery beginning with a slow-speed shredder to break the wood into smaller pieces and release any steel contamination
- After passing by a magnet to remove steel, the broken wood is conveyed into a high-speed chipper and sized to the customer's requirements
- A secondary magnet then pulls any nails and remaining steel
- Specialised chip liners transport the chip to Golden Bay Cement
- On arrival, the chip is fed via conveyor directly into the cement kiln supplementing coal as the fuel source.
GBC EECA ENERGY AWARD
The EECA Awards celebrate excellence and innovation in energy efficiency and renewable energy.
In 2012, Golden Bay Cement won the prestigious EECA Renewable Energy award, which recognises achievements and highlights improvements in the New Zealand renewable energy industry.
- The award recognised the innovative use of waste wood material, which reduced CO2 emissions by 58,000 tonnes
RECYCLED UNTREATED TIMBER PRODUCTS
What Happens to Untreated Timber Waste?
This wood waste is usually sourced from wood pallets and because timber pallets are constructed from untreated timber, it’s ideal for processing into landscaping chips and high-quality animal bedding. All wood recycling is done at our Onehunga processing facilities. Please that that we do not accept wood waste drop-offs from the public. Green Gorilla will collect large volumes of wood waste. Talk to us today about Auckland Recycling & Waste Solutions.
LANDSCAPING CHIPS MADE FROM UNTREATED TIMBER
For large volumes of dry high-quality landscape chips, contact Green Gorilla.
- Air-dried recycled untreated timber.
- Your choice of natural or coloured chip.
- Free from seeds and plant matter.
- Free draining ‘knitted’ product.
- Long-term stability with the slow breakdown.
- Transport to site or collect.
- Orders over 35m3
ANIMAL BEDDING MADE FROM UNTREATED TIMBER
Green Gorilla animal bedding and mulch are shredded from dry, recycled and untreated timber. Our animal bedding wood chip is suitable for horse and cow animal bedding. Bulk sales of the bedding chips go to Auckland, Northland and Waikato farms.
- Free draining absorbent animal bedding > 90 x 30 mm chip size.
- Bulk animal bedding chip is stored inside with moisture content under 18%
- Dry recycled wood chips are best for animal bedding - good moisture absorption.
- Buy animal bedding that is free draining.
- Hard-wearing New Zealand animal bedding.
- Ideal for indoor shelters or outdoor animal feed pads and stand-off pads.
- Transport animal bedding wholesale to your door or collect.
- Animal bedding bulk orders over 35m3
- Great animal bedding price and best quality.